Job Title: Bookkeeper
Reports to: Executive Director
Position Type: Contract or part-time: 5-15 hours/week depending on season
Start date: March 1st, 2024
Wage: TBD based on applicant’s experience & preference for contract or employee options. Hourly wage is estimated between $22-$26.
Includes: Various tickets for events and concerts through the season. Access to various professional development opportunities- some virtual and some in-person.
About the Organization
Formerly known as the Indian River Festival, Under the Spire (UTS) has presented concerts in its heritage venue Historic St. Mary’s for 28 years, although music has always been a part of this building’s history. Known for its brilliant acoustics, St. Mary’s was designed to replicate the structure of a violin by architect William Critchlow Harris—as such, it is the ideal space for experiencing music in an intimate and unique way. UTS presents 25-30 concerts and community events from June to September and welcomes approximately 5500 audience members to enjoy a plethora of classical, world, jazz, pop, blues, and other diverse genres of music. Find out more here!
About the Role
UTS is now hiring a bookkeeper to join our administration team. Based on the responsibilities, we estimate hours to be between 5-15/week with an appreciation for additional time required for onboarding and the seasonal nature of the summer concert series. The work schedule is flexible, and will allow for a hybrid work environment although UTS requests at least some hours per week to be worked from the Kensington office location.
Position and Responsibilities:
- Reconciling and making all deposits including etransfers, Paypal, cash and cheques;
- Posting all AR/AP invoicing, balancing monthly, and paying such invoices;
- Balancing and submitting all Revenue Canada submissions such as Monthly Payroll, Quarterly HST, Annual T4s, and ensuring the annual charitable return is filed;
- Closing the books at the end of the accounting cycle, ensuring a clear cut off for payables and receivables;
- Provide all documentation to accounting firm as decided by the Organization for annual yearly review;
- Payroll, including:
- Preparing and submitting all ROE’s in a timely manner (5 days after the end of the pay period when remitting payroll taxes monthly or 15 days after the end of the pay period);
- Submitting final reports as needed for job funding programs;
- Reconciling monthly bank statements for all accounts and providing monthly reports to the Executive Director and Treasurer by the 10th of each month;
- Posting daily sales sheets, which includes concessions, donations, ticket sales, merch, etc.
- Collaborate with Executive Director, Treasurer and Finance Committee through the following:
- Reviewing the annual budget and providing input/opinion;
- Attending Finance Committee meetings (virtually or in-person) as planned in advance, and;
- Collaborating on rental bookings procedures with UTS staff.
- Proven experience in computerized accounting and bookkeeping;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Detail-oriented and capable of managing multiple tasks efficiently, and;
- Proficiency in relevant accounting software and tools.
- Familiarity with google drive, slack, dropbox, and/ or other shared document platforms;
- Experience working with charitable organizations;
- Experience working with bookings & rentals, and;
- Knowledge of Provincial & Federal job subsidy programs.
How to apply
Please submit a resume/CV by email to email@example.com. A cover letter is not required but appreciated. We value your interest and thank you for your consideration; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
UTS is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to the principles of equity and diversity in employment. We encourage Indigenous people, Black and POC, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.